The Terminus Hotel which is situated on the corner of Crowley and Loftus Streets was originally a single storey weatherboard dwelling. It was constructed at the time the railway came to Temora in 1893. The hotel is so named because it is close to the railway station and the terminus of the main line.
During the late 19th century hotels were predominantly positioned to service the Cobb & Co routes. The construction of a hotel in close proximity to the railway line would have serviced the workers constructing the railway and then for the railway workers.
The single storey building was removed and replaced with a two storey brick structure in 1924; this construction was to increase the businesses trade to allow for overnight accommodation. This application was submitted to the Temora Licensing Court and was approved in 1923; the applicant was the owners of the hotel, Messrs Tooth & Co. In 1986 Mr Don Beetson lodged an application for the construction of a bottle shop extension to the northern side of the building. This would be a reflection of the 1980’s movement of the packaged liquor licence sales.
Internal renovations have occurred over time with the expansion of the dining area, which has proved very popular, with meals being served daily from the premises.
Over the years, many meetings for various town groups and receptions for dignitaries, weddings and sporting events have been held at the Terminus Hotel. It is believed that the very first meeting of the proposed Temora Australian Rules Football was held here in 1906.
The Terminus Hotel continues to offer short term accommodation; this proves a popular staying point still for railway workers and the like.